If my husband was pulled over for not using his blinker, did the officer have the right to call his place of employment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was pulled over for not using his blinker, did the officer have the right to call his place of employment?

The officer searched his car and frisked him. They also askek him several questions including his place of employment. New Link Destination
day his manager from worked called to see if everything was okay because the officer called his job? Is that legal?

Asked on February 11, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

For a routine traffic stop, this is unusual, but not necessarily illegal.  If the officer is doing a follow-up, then something else is up.  First, the officer may think your husband is involved in something deeper.  Second, the officer may think that the employer has some type of liability for the vehicle if it is a company vehicle.  The third possibility is the officer is overstepping and just being a jerk.  If this is the case, call the officer's supervisor and find out why the officer is continuing and investigation for such a minor traffic  stop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption