What to do if my husband was pulled by a cop for not having auto insurance, although he had already paid the bill?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband was pulled by a cop for not having auto insurance, although he had already paid the bill?

However, my husband already sent a money order to our auto insurer 2 weeks before getting stopped. He unfortunately has not kept the receipt and we do not have any proof that we actually have paid it. We called the insurance company and said that they have not received any payments. I’m pretty sure that we had the correct address of where to send the payment to; it’s the same as where he normally sends payment. This is first time for him driving without insurance. What would be your good advice?

Asked on January 3, 2014 under Insurance Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your husband need to contact the insurance carrier and ask for proof of insurance via a certificate and then show up at court with the certificate to show the judge that there was insurance in place when he was pulled over. I suggest he consult with an attorney experienced in traffic matters in your locality before hand. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption