If my husband was married under a fake name is that marriage valid?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was married under a fake name is that marriage valid?

He married his children’s mother but never divorced then married me. Is our marriage valid?

Asked on August 14, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, 
First of all, you marry a person, not a name. Therefore, in the event somone marries you under a false name the marriage is valid unless the use of an alias concealed facts that if known would otherwise render the marriage invalid (e.g. fraud was involved, etc.). Accordingly, you husband's first marriage was legal. That being the case, your marriage is not. Since your "husband" was legally wed to another woman at the time that you married, then in the eyes of the law your union is null and void in the eyes of the law. if you want to re-marry you can do so at such time as your husband is divorced from his wife.
If you or your spouse used an alias when you married, you can have the marriage certificate corrected to show the correct name. Every state has provisions to amend incorrect or incomplete information on the certificate. Someone in your county records department can tell you how.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption