How would I file for divorce if my husband was deported to Mexico 13 years ago and we haven’t had contact since?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How would I file for divorce if my husband was deported to Mexico 13 years ago and we haven’t had contact since?

Our daughter is now 18 and according to her, he has a family of his own in Mexico. Is this going to be an easy case or a difficult one?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there is nothing in dispute, then the process should be easy... especially if he has moved on and has a new family.  The issue that you are going to have is getting him served with papers in Mexico... but you still have options.  You can mail him proposed divorce paperwork and a waiver of service and see if he'll agree to sign it so that you can get the divorce done.  If you don't know where he's at, then Colorado does have a procedure for citation by publication which you can use.  You won't be barred from getting the divorce just because he's in Mexico.   You can file here because you live here.  To make sure that your paperwork is in order, you would be better off hiring a family law attorney to help you draw-up the paperwork and to help you with the service issue. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption