If my husband was convicted 7 years ago of criminal threatening, can it be expunged?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was convicted 7 years ago of criminal threatening, can it be expunged?

Asked on March 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kansas


Stacey Schlimmer / Schlimmer Law, LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your husband's conviction may be eligible for expungment in the State of Kansas, per K.S.A. 21-4516. Depending on additional criminal history, if any, and the details of the case, this may be an appropriate time to file a Petition for Expungement and ask the court for an Order expunging his conviction and arrest.  These documents require specific details and information to be complete, which is why it is recommended that you hire an attorney for the process.  An attorney cannot guarantee expungement of the conviction or arrest; that is ultimately up to the Prosecution and Judge. The filing fee for expungement depends on the court, in Johnson County,  the filing fee is currently $119. In most situations, an attorney would ask that you pay this filing fee and a small, flat fee for the preparation and filing of the documents. 

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your husband's conviction can be expunged by the court depends whether or not the judge in his or her discretion is willing grant the desired expungement. I suggest that he consult with a criminal defense attorney to see what his options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption