If we pay a civil demand regarding a shoplifting charge, will everything go away and nothing get put on our criminal records?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we pay a civil demand regarding a shoplifting charge, will everything go away and nothing get put on our criminal records?

My husband was caught shoplifting an item under $20. Since I was with him they stopped both of us and took down both of our information off our drivers’ licenses. They said they were letting us off with a warning and if we got caught again we would be put in their system. This is a first time offense for both of us and we have no prior criminal records. We each received a letter today stating we are liable for a civil demand in the amount of $100. It also says this civil claim is separate from, and in addition to, any criminal proceedings that may have arisen from the incident.

Asked on December 21, 2015 under Criminal Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since the store is letting you and your husband off with a warning, and you were not put in their system, it is unlikely that criminal charges will be pursued after the $100 is paid.  Payment of the amount demanded for shoplifting usually ends the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption