If my husband wants a divorce but he has not filed yet but if/when he does, what will happen if I don’t sign the papers?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband wants a divorce but he has not filed yet but if/when he does, what will happen if I don’t sign the papers?

My husband left me 3 months ago. I am willing to work things out because the issues he was having in our marriage are very simply fixed. He on the other hand says that there is no hope and no point continuing. We have been married for 6 years and never really had any major problems. He will not go to marriage counseling; we have 2 young kids.

Asked on February 17, 2016 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Actually, your husband can obtain a divorce whether or not you sign the papers. While it would be easier if you do, the divorce can still proceed.Hhere is a link to a site that will explain further:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption