If my husband wants a divorce but I am against it, do I have an option?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband wants a divorce but I am against it, do I have an option?

I cursed his mother out because we got into an argument and I told him to get her out of our house.

Asked on August 4, 2011 North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If by "do I have an option," you mean, "can I stop my husband from divorcing me," then the answer is, unfortunately, no. No person can force another to stay married if he or she does not want to; any person can get a divorce regardless of the wishes of his or her spouse.

Obviously, you can attempt to talk him of this, see if you can convince him to give the marriage aother chance or try couples therapy with you, etc.--but if he is determined to divorce, he does have that right. If he appears likely to go throw with the divorce, you should probably consult with a matrimonial or family law attorney, to see how to best protect your interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption