My husband wants a divorce but his mother is leaving him alot of money.I’ve supported him for 10 years.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband wants a divorce but his mother is leaving him alot of money.I’ve supported him for 10 years.

Am I entitled to any of the money? He wants the divorce so he does not have share the money. Plus his exwife is trying to get back with him so she can get the money. What are my rights?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Montana is an equitable distribution state, meaning that marital assets of the marital estate are divided based upon what is fair, not necessarily equal.  What constitutes a "marital asset" and a "marital estate" depends on many things, one thing being the contribution the other spouse made to the inherited property.  From your question is appears that your husband is GOING to inherit sometime in the future.  A spouses possible future inheritance may never be included in the marital estate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption