My husband took my jeep that was not insured and caused an accident

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband took my jeep that was not insured and caused an accident

Husband came home black out drunk, before I realized what was happening, he took
off out the door and left in the jeep that we were working on getting fixed up
for me to drive. It was in my name, but had no tags or insurance yet as it had
things to be fixed before it would be legal to drive. He apparently had a fender
bender with another car, not sure who was at fault, and then flipped the jeep in
the drive thru of a fast food restaurant not far from our house. New Link Destination
day I got a
letter from an insurance company stating that I owe 12,000 for damages. Can I
fight this and win?

Asked on April 3, 2017 under Accident Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, as the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the damages from your husband's accident.  Since the vehicle was uninsured, you will be sued and are personally liable.
When there is a court judgment against you, it would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption