Does my husband have any rights if he sued his former employer for around $3,000 for unpaid services but his employer then filed for bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my husband have any rights if he sued his former employer for around $3,000 for unpaid services but his employer then filed for bankruptcy?

My husband worked for a landscaping company and the owner claimed he couldn’t pay him. Hence, that’s when the law suit came in. The Judge ruled in my husband’s favor and his previous employed was ordered to pay him $500 every month until the debt was fully paid off. Well, his former employer’s wife filed for bankruptcy shortly after and never paid what was owed. Can anything still be done or since he filed for bankruptcy> Was he cleared out of this debt as well?

Asked on June 25, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unsecured judgments--such as the award or judgment the judge gave your husband--are among the debts that can be discharged in bankruptcy. So while your husband should be paid along with any other unsecured creditors (like a credit card issuer) on a pro rata basis, based on the bankruptcy plan, it is likely that if he receives anything, it will be pennies (dimes at best) on the dollar; and after that, the former employer will be clear of the debt. (And, if there is not enough to pay the unsecured creditors, your husband will get nothing.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption