If my husband’s uncle passed away and then my husband passed away, if my husband was named in his uncle’s Will, do I collect?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband’s uncle passed away and then my husband passed away, if my husband was named in his uncle’s Will, do I collect?

My husband died intestate; we were married less than 2 years.

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your losses.  You have certainly been through a lot.  One would have to read your husband's Uncle's Will to be sure but generally speaking, if your husband was alive when his Uncle died then he was entitled to inherit under the Will.  Now your husband's estate will inherit from his uncle's estate.  You need to do what is necessary to start an estate proceeding on behalf of your husband.  You have not indicated if you had any children together or he has any children outside of your marriage.  The intestacy laws in your state will apply to all assets that are not jointly held (assets jointly held with your husband go to you automatically).  The inheritance is not a joint asset. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption