What to do if my husband’s name is not on our baby’s birth certificate?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband’s name is not on our baby’s birth certificate?

He was working with the US Army overseas when he got killed. Now the baby cannot get death benefits unless his name is on her birth certificate. I don’t know how to amend it?

Asked on August 25, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You must have a california court declare him the father of your child.  It is not a simple or easy process.  You can find a lot of information related to such proceedings by looking up "Adjudication of Facts of Parentage."

The trouble is that for a court to make this order, you have to have genetic testing done comparing your son's DNA to that of the father.  You have to have some DNA from the father in order to do that.  That could involve petitioning the Veteran's Administration to exhume the father's body.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption