My husband resides in our house, we are divorced but I am still part owner of the house. Can he change the locks?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband resides in our house, we are divorced but I am still part owner of the house. Can he change the locks?

In our separation agreement he would stay in the house and pay all the expences for the house. When the house goes up for sale all profits would be split 50/50 minus any repairs done to sell it. There is no time limit on how long until the house goes on the market. I still have some of my belongings in the house which he was fine with Recently he has changed all the locks on the house. Can he do this?

Asked on November 28, 2017 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your husband was granted exclusive use and occupancy under the agreement (and it sounds like he was), then yes, he can change the locks.  Take a look at the language in your Separation agreement.  It will use those words: exclsuive use and occupancy.  It is the consideration for him maintaining the premises until sold.  By the way, putting no time limit on when the sale is to occur is not a good idea.  Talk with your lawyer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption