What to do if my husband refuses to allow me access to any of the bank accounts?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband refuses to allow me access to any of the bank accounts?

We have been married for almost 17 years and have 3 children between the ages of 8 and 14. I have no checkbook no debit/credit card. I am not allowed to buy milk without permission. Is this legal?I’m kind of in a tough spot because I have recently begun chemotherapy for a complex, severe autoimmune disease. It would be difficult to go begin a job at this point. I hope I will find myself in remission sometime in the near future, but until then, I’m stuck. I have been ill for 4 years.

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, unless you and your husband have some pre-nuptial or post nuptial agreement stating that the income he earns is solely his, then you have an ownership interest in the bank accounts of the marriage where you are entitled to such access.

If your husband refuses you access to such bank accounts, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney or your local legal aid clinic to discuss what your options to get access to such accounts are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption