If my husband received an inheritance from his parents, do I have any rights to it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband received an inheritance from his parents, do I have any rights to it?

It includes property (some of which will be sold) and cash; he wants to keep this money separate and not “comingle” it with me. We have been married 25 years and I have stayed home 17 years of that to raise our children. All of or other money(and property we won) is combined. His reason for doing this he says is that if we divorce I will not have access to those funds.

Asked on January 14, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The rule is that inherited money remains the separate property of the spouse who inherited it. That is so long as it are not "co-mingled" with joint marital assets. Since your husband seems intent on not co-mingling these funds, assuming that he does not do so, the money will remain his sole and separate property.
At this point, it would be a good idea to contact a divorce attorney directly. They can further advise you in general on how to protect your financial interests in the event of a divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption