What should we do if my husband’s former employer is accusing him of fraud?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should we do if my husband’s former employer is accusing him of fraud?

My husband quit his job almost 2 weeks ago. Yesterday we got a letter from his former employer claiming my husband made unauthorized purchases on the company credit card.. The letter stated that they were providing a “partial” list of items purchased and demanded they be returned. The letter went on to say that my husband committed fraud and that the matter could elevate for a criminal case. First, if my husband provides the items which were supposedly purchased without authorization, can he still be prosecuted? Second, can his company provide him with only a partial ist and threaten to press charges, even if he made those purchases in good faith?

Asked on October 28, 2014 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help as soon as you can.  These are very serious charges that could follow your husband through the rest of his employment life and they need to be dealt with. Now, for this type of fraud - credit card fraud - " it would have to be proven that your husband "knowingly” possessed the credit card with the “intent” to somehow defraud his employer. But there are defenses - which you seem to allude to here - such as permission or even a true belief he had permission to use the card either through conversations or past occurrences. So please, get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption