my husband own a house before we got married am I entile to any of it?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my husband own a house before we got married am I entile to any of it?

The state is charging more each month on my rent because it

Asked on April 2, 2019 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No. A house that was owned pre-marriage is solely the property of the spouse who bought it. IF you had contributed to its purchase price (e.g. he bought it while you and he were dating or engaged, and you paid for part of it), you might be able to make an "equitable claim" (essentially, fairness-based: courts have some limited power to exceed the strict parameters of the law to work fairness in some cases) in divorce to some of its equity or at least compensation for your investment (but not any ownership of the home), but if you did not help him buy it and it predates your marriage, you have no claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption