Can my husband of 29 years kick me out ifour house?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband of 29 years kick me out ifour house?

I am having to stay with friends until we can get our divorce settlement. Can he also force me to move my horse off of our place now?

Asked on March 28, 2011 under Family Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unless the divorce has been finalized (or temporary orders have been issued by a court that give him exclusive right and possession) he cannot legally put you out of the house.  It is still considered to be the joint marital residence (no matter whose name is or isn't on the title/mortgage).  Accordingly, you have the right to also keep your property on the premises, including your horse (although Iassume you think of your horse as more then just property).  In fact, if he has undertaken any type of "self-help" such as putting your yhings things out in the street or changing the locks, you could sue him for for unlawful eviction, among other things.  Additionally, this could hurt him in the divorce proceedings. 

Note:  Once court orders are issued, things will be different. 

At this point, you need to consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption