If my husband moved out of the marital home, can I change the locks?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband moved out of the marital home, can I change the locks?

My husband and I separated over a year ago, he has been going through my personal belongings.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are always free to change the locks to your own residence.  The real questions is whether he will be able to obtain access once you do.  First, the police department will probably be unable to help him.  They will say it is a family matter.

If he goes to the family court, he must file certain papers and request the court grant him permission to return.  It is difficult to say whether or not a court will permit the rentry after such a long separation but it is possible.

You should speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law.

Good luck.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.

187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F

Nutley, NJ 07110



This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice may be different if I find that the facts presented are different.  Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption