My husband left the country of the US and doesn’t pay alimony. What do I do?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband left the country of the US and doesn’t pay alimony. What do I do?

I received alimony for 10 years, now that only 5 years passed, my ex husband left
the country and doesn’t pay me anymore. He works for Microsoft company in
Europe. I am disabled and got alimony as such person.

Asked on October 27, 2017 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There may be very little you can do as a practical matter. Most European nations will honor a U.S. judgment or court order, BUT the process is expensive and cumbersome: you would have to file a new lawsuit in Europe typically (hiring a European attorney) to do so, which legal action is based on violation of a U.S. order order or decree, then after you (presumably) win that case, use whatever collections methods that country provides for (since you are asking its courts to enforce your judgment or decree, you are limited to the methods, powers, or techniques that country itself provides for collections: they cannot and will not do anything not permitted under their law). So you're talking about taking legal action overseas, with an overseas attorney.
The above is a huge oversimplification: the process, the costs, how "cooperative" the courts will be, etc. vary nation by nation. Some are easier: the UK, not suprisingly, is one of the easier ones, because their law and ours are very similar (we got our oldest source of law, the "common law," from the UK back during Colonial days) and because of the nations' close relationship. Other countries, such as the former Soviet republics, are apt to be much more difficult, due to very different legal traditions and different attitudes towards the role of the courts. Even France or Germany, which are close allies of ours, have a different legal tradition and structure ("civil" law, not common law) than we do; and some other friendly countries (e.g. Greece) may be in such disarray right now as to make working with their courts difficult or time consumming.
You also need to know where he is (e.g. his address) or be able to find it.
If you want to pursue the matter, you will have to either contact a large U.S. law firm with offices in the country where you ex is, or similarly, a big international firm with offices in the U.S. and that other countr (either of which is probably the best option, since you will be able to deal with the U.S. office, improving communication and coordination), or else find an attorney directly in that other nation to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption