Are my bank accounts (in my name only) subject to being garnished for payments for my husband’s debts (in his name only)?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are my bank accounts (in my name only) subject to being garnished for payments for my husband’s debts (in his name only)?

My husband just had one of his bank accounts garnished / on hold for 45 days by a law firm for his capital one visa payments that he has not made. We have separated out all of our banking and credit cards in our own names and have been living separately for the past two years. I am in the process of divorcing him but have not yet submitted any papers so we are still legally married.

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written due to your separation from your spouse for over two (2) years coupled with the fact that the bank account that you are concerned about is in your name alone and not of your spouse, then it appears under the laws of all states in this country that the judgment creditor against your spouse will have a difficult time legally levying upon your own separate bank account for his debt.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption