If my husband just gave me a “waiver of service” document, do I need to consult with a lawyer before signing?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband just gave me a “waiver of service” document, do I need to consult with a lawyer before signing?

We are planning on seeing a mediator.

Asked on November 27, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Waiver's look like innocent documents, but it really helps protect your interests if you have an attorney just look at it first.  Some waivers only waive your right to be personally served with notice of hte divorce action.  Not a huge deal-- it just means that a process server doesn't have to come and put a set of papers into your hand.
If the waiver purports to do more than that, you could be waiving valuable rights, like the making of a record or the right to be notified of future hearings. 
You don't have to retain an attorney, but at least show the waiver to an attorney so that you understand what exactly you are signing and what you are waiving.  During the consult, you can also visit with the attorney about things you may want to have addressed when you do go to mediation.  That way... you get a bit more bang for your buck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption