What to do if my husband is now in contempt of court for not paying a court ordered debt?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband is now in contempt of court for not paying a court ordered debt?

What should we expect when he appears in court next month for the third time for the same debt? Will they hold him in jail until the full debt is paid?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If your husband is in contempt with the court for not paying on a debt to be paid by court order, it is up to the judge hearing the case to make the decision on what if any punishment will be issued against your husband. Potentially he may have a good excuse for his failure to make the payment such as lack of funds.

If your husband does not have a good reason for making payments on a court ordered payment, he may suffer the following consequences:

1. additional fines and penalties;

2. jail time;

3. a combination of the above;

4. a warning to make future payments as scheduled.

I recommend that he consult with an attorney to represent him at the upcoming hearing.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption