If my husband is listed as co-owner on the deed to my house but does not live with me, do I need my his consent to construct an addition?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is listed as co-owner on the deed to my house but does not live with me, do I need my his consent to construct an addition?

Do I need my his consent to construct a sunroom addition if I pay cash for it?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you pay for it in cash, you will be better off and can do the construction without getting your husband involved.  Because you are in control of the property and your name is on the deed, you can make decisions regarding the use and improvement of the property.  You could encounter hiccups if you decide to finance... because his name is on the deed, he could technically be held liable by the bank if you defaulted on the home improvement note.  Your usual complaints come up when one spouse increases the other spouses potential debt liability.  There is not a remedy for filing against one spouse for making improvements.  As a side note, if you are no longer living together and are planning on getting a divorce, you may want to hold off all improvements until after the divorce is finalized.  If your improvements increase the value of the house, you could end up with a smaller share of the community estate because you are keeping the big ticket items.  Also, if you are awarded the house through the divorce, then a divorce decree will grant you final and absolute power on what to do with the house without these potential headaches in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption