My husband is having an affair, can I make him leave for good?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband is having an affair, can I make him leave for good?

He stays gone most of the time. Both of our names are on the house and he says I can’t make him leave.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

He is right--as one of the owners of the house, he has as much right to possession (e.g. to enter  the home, live there, etc.) as you do. You can't make him leave while you are married and the two of you own the home together.

You should consult with a divorce or family law attorney: if he is gone most of the time and is having an affair--and you want to make him "leave for good"--it's time consider divorce. If you divorce him, you will presumably we entitled to a share of the marital assets (e.g. you might get the house; or it might be sold and the proceeds divided between you), spousal support, and child support (if applicable); you will be able to legally separate your lives and live in a home he has no right to enter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption