My husband is currently in prison, what can I do to keep him from coming back home.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband is currently in prison, what can I do to keep him from coming back home.


My husband is currently in prison. I have stayed in the marriage as I cannot
afford a divorce, nor will he agree, and it would be impossible to file for one
while we still lived in the same house. I was just wanting to know if I had any
legal options to keep him from coming back to our home with our children when he
is released from prison. Thank you

Asked on September 19, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF he can be shown to pose a threat to you or your children (e.g. he has made threats; he has physically abused you or them; etc.) it may be possible to be get a restraining or protective order. But that would be your only option, and they tend not to last indefinitely anyway. If you want to separate yourself from him, you will have to find the wherewithall to divorce him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption