If my husband is behind in permanent maintenance to his ex-wife, can she try to get money from me or my new business that is in my name only?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is behind in permanent maintenance to his ex-wife, can she try to get money from me or my new business that is in my name only?

My husband has had a decrease in income and has gone to court to have it modified only to be told to come back in 6 months. He will continue to go into arrears. I am worried about her coming after me now. Is this a concern I should have? He owes $12,000.

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The court order regarding the maintenance is against him only and his ex can not come against you personally for the money.  However, that does not mean that you can not be affected by a judgement rendered against your husband for the arrears.  If you hold assets jointly his ex can attach his portion to pay the judgement, including joint accounts and even tax returns.  Why was he told to come back in 6 months?  That makes no sense.  Did he have an attorney help him?  It may be time for that and you should see an attorney to help structure your business to protect it against any possible atachment by anyone.  Also consider forming a corporation to hold the business. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption