If my husband has transmitted a STD to me, do I have any legal recourse?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has transmitted a STD to me, do I have any legal recourse?

I have been married to this man for 32 years. I have never been unfaithful to him. He admits to visiting craigslist personals and I have found questionable phone numbers in his call logs. He says he called a few hookers “just for fun” but never hooked up. I now have genital herpes which is devastating me. It is a lifetime sentence for me and I didn’t ask for this. Can I sue?

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Personal Injury, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In many states in this country one spouse can sue another spouse for damages caused by the other spouse's negligence or wrongful conduct. In fact I have seen published decisions in the state where I practice allowing a spouse in a similar situation that you are writing about to sue his or her spouse for damages.

From what you have written, you might first consider meeting with a family counselor with your husband before you consult with a personal injury attorney. If the counseling session(s) do not work out, then you should consult with the personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption