If my husband has not worked for 99.9% of our 10 year marriage nor has he contributed to the household, is he entitled to spousal support?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has not worked for 99.9% of our 10 year marriage nor has he contributed to the household, is he entitled to spousal support?

Do I need to hire an attorney?

Asked on October 28, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the factors you describe mean that he almost certainly IS entitled to spousal support. A non-working, or only occasionally working, spouse who has been supported by the other spouse for years is entitled to support because 1) that is the life style they had--one spouse supporting the other, and the second not having to work; and 2) he/she will need support, at least for several years to transition back to working. Turn the genders around: suppose that this was a wife who hadn't worked for years while being supported by her husband--clearly, the wife would get spousal support, and traditionally such non-working wives do get spousal support. The fact that in this case, the husband did not work, does not change the law or the analysis: he will almost certainly get support. The law does not discriminate based on gender.
Yes, you should retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption