If my husband has not been paid from his employer for over a month, who do I call?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has not been paid from his employer for over a month, who do I call?

My husband has not been paid from his previous employer. He is not the only one that the company has shorted hours.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can contact your state's department of labor and file a complaint for back pay.  Also, depending on the amount of money involved, you could contact an employment law attorney. They can file a awsuit against your  husband's employer for his back pay or they can at least write a letter on your husband's behalf. Sometimes getting correspondence on a lawyer's letterhead is all that it takes.

However, this all assumes that your husband's employer is not in the process of going out of business (you gave no details). If so, you can sue but if you win a judgement you may have no way of collecting if there is no money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption