If my husband has a deferred compensation plan, am I entitled to any of it in a divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has a deferred compensation plan, am I entitled to any of it in a divorce?

My husband is a retired police officer that paid into a deferred compensation plan as part of his retirement. He retired before we were married. Would the plan be considered when we divorce? Also, during our marriage he has been investing in CD’s. Could that be considered? Should I speak with a divorce attoreny? In Douglas Country, CO.

Asked on October 10, 2010 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should seek legal counsel in your area as soon as you can.   Generally speaking, assets - the deferred comp is an asset - that were acquired prior to the marriage are separate property and those that were acquired during the marriage - like the CD's - are marital property subject to equitable distribution.  Sometimes assets that are separate property take on the attributes of marital property (for example when assets such as inheritance are co-mingled in to one joint account).  And sometimes what appears to be marital property can really be separate property - like if the CD's were purchased with the deferred comp money only- so the specifics as to what happened with all the funds will come in to play here.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption