What can I do if I believe that my husband married me to obtain his green card?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I believe that my husband married me to obtain his green card?

My husband has a conditional green card and will be applying to remove conditions next month. I believe he married me to obtain his card. He is from Ghana and has traveled back and forth for 2 years, each time refusing to let me accompany him. How can I not remain obligated to support him if we don’t remain together? I believe he has a significant other in his country.

Asked on June 5, 2014 under Immigration Law, Arkansas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you really believe this to be the case, you can report him to the USCIS but you should be prepared to provide some solid documentation about your suspicions.  He may still be able to get the conditional status lifted even if you divorce and he files on his own if he is able to prove that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption