If my husband got remarried before divorcing me, what will happen and can this help me get custody of my children?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband got remarried before divorcing me, what will happen and can this help me get custody of my children?

My husband and I separates in march of 2011 in Georgia. I have since moved to Tennessee. I have had the suspicion for 8 months that he was remarried but didn’t know for sure until now. The problem is, we haven’t divorced yet. He told me he would handle all the paperwork but he didn’t. Does his bigamy grant me automatic divorce? Furthermore, what are the consequences legally on him. Will this give me a leg up in custody of my kids?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if you and your husband are not legally divorced and he remarried, then his marriage to the other person is invalid as a matter of law. As to bigamy charges, such is within the discretion of the district attorney's office where your husband resides.

As to possibly getting better custody rights with respect to your children over your current husband, his apparent bigamy certainly does not help his position on the issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption