What to do if my husband did an even trade on a car for a truck with another individual but now they have junked out the truck?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband did an even trade on a car for a truck with another individual but now they have junked out the truck?

The person signed over the title and gave us the truck, however the next day they got a duplicate title and junked out the truck do my husband could not get the truck in his name. We have tried to contact the guy multiple times but he will not return our calls. We have the original title signed and notarized when the trade was done. We found all this out when my husband tried to get the title switched in his name. What legal action can we take?

Asked on November 22, 2013 under Business Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sue this person for breach of contract, even if the agreement was never in writing (that is, it was an oral or verbal agreement): a contract is enforceable, and if one party to a contract does not comply with its terms, the other one may sue him for monetary compensation. You can sue the threat of a lawsuit--which can be filed inexpensively, such as in small claims court--to force this individual to help you untangle this mess; or at least to get compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption