If my husband and I took courses through a home study program and now found out it is a scam, how do we get out of paying?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I took courses through a home study program and now found out it is a scam, how do we get out of paying?

Our courses cost about $600 each and upon doing research I have found that this school is not accredited and most businesses will not except any of the training received from this institute. I also found many customers got scammed out of their money, never received their books, and the address of the company keeps changing. They may have some outstanding lawsuit against them already.

Asked on December 26, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could likely terminate the contract/agreement and avoid paying if:

1) They deliberately represented, or stated/promised, in their marketing/adverstising materials that they were accredited, knowing that they are not--that misrepresentation would then be fraud, which could provide grounds to void the contract.

2) Similarly, if the agreement or terms of service states that they are accedited but they are not, that would be a breach of contract and would allow termination.

3) Or if they breached their contract in some other material, or important way, such as by not providing course materials, that might provide grounds to terminate.

Note however that there must be fraud or breach of contract directed at YOU--it doesn't matter what has been done to other people or if anyone else is suing them.

Also, if they never claimed to be accredited, then the fact that they are not does not matter--it may be that you should have checked this out before signing up, but if they never made any false claims, or promises which they did not keep, in regard to accredidation, they did nothing wrong and there are no grounds in relation to it for getting out of your obligation to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption