Under what conditions can a Trustee take money out of a Trust?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under what conditions can a Trustee take money out of a Trust?

My husband and I rented a house from my husband’s mother for 2.5 years and we just bought our own house and moved out. My mother-in-law is listing the house we rented to try to sell it. Her realtor recommended that she repaint all the walls white she gave us permission to paint and never told us we had to repaint when we moved out. Her realtor also told her to replace the carpet which is 24 years old – original carpet. My mother-in-law thought it should be our responsibility to pay for all of it when we don’t think it is. My husband’s deceased father left him a Trust that I don’t think he can access until he’s 25 in 2 months. My mother-in-law is threatening to take money out of my husband’s Trust to pay for updating this house. Legal?

Asked on September 2, 2015 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A trustee can only take money from a trust when the terms of the trust authorize her to do so. If the trust instrument does not allow her to take money out of the trust to update the house, then at a minimum, she will have violated her duty as trustee and could be sued for the amount of money she takes, to force her to return or replace it. In some situations, if she demonstrably acts with knowledge that she has no right to to do this, she have even be committing theft and be subject to criminal prosecution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption