If my husband and I own a company and the company gets sued, will our personal property be in jeopardy?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I own a company and the company gets sued, will our personal property be in jeopardy?

Is our home at risk? Should I remove my name from the company?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the company is a partnership--that is, if it is not a corporation or LLC--then there is no "company" in a legal sense; there is only you and your husband. If the company incurs liability, you incur liability.

On the other hand, if the company is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation (inc.), then you would be protected from most business-related liability, such as for breach of contract, business loans (unless guaranteed personally), etc. That's because a LLC or corporation is its own separate legal entity; liabilty against it does not transfer to its owners.

There is some liability that you cannot escape, even with a LLC or corporation. For example, if you personally commit a tortious act (personally run someone over with the company car; personally steal or defraud; personally defame someone; etc.), you can be sued personally as the tortfeasor--the person committing the wrongful act. Certain tax liabiltiy can attach to officer or manager who was responsible for it (i.e. Uncle Sam can hold you liable in many cases if you cheat him). And if you personally guaranty a debt, you are liable for it. That said, the best protection is to run your business through a LLC or corporation, and if you have not set up one yet, do so.

If you have a corporation or LLC and you also have adequate insurance, including an umbrella and general liability policies, on your business, that should be adequate protection for your  personal assets in almost all cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption