What are our rights if my husband and I signed a lease yesterday and there is a cockroach problem?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if my husband and I signed a lease yesterday and there is a cockroach problem?

We signed knowing that there was previously a cockroach problem but the landlord said that it has been treated 3 times; he thought they were all gone but I read that you have to do the entire building treatment. We went there later last night and there were cockroaches everywhere, it was still infested badly. Since we already signed a year lease with him, do we have to stay with him for a year no matter what or can we legally ask him for our money back because we do not want those around our children and us?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you and your husband have not moved into the rental that you have written about, I would call your landlord about the cockroach problem and ask that it be remedied before move in. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and reference. I would not move into the unit until the landlord has remedied the vermin infestation and has agreed in writing to maintain the unit with respect to the cockroach issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption