If my husband and I are not legally separated, what are my rights to his assets?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I are not legally separated, what are my rights to his assets?

My husband and I have been informally separated for 2 months. He moved out of our family home into a rental house that we own. He furnished the house with brand new furniture, new appliances, 2 beds and a new TV. He also bought a new $60,000 car. Am I entitled to half of the furniture and car he bought? We never filed a formal separation agreement and we both can’t decide if we will divorce or not.

Asked on November 26, 2015 under Family Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yours in not a community property state, so it is not the case you automatically own half of anything purchased while married. Anything he purchased with joint assets (e.g. money from a joint bank account) or with your assets (e.g. if he used money earned/provided by you), you have a claim to. Things purchased after you separated which he bought using only his own income or money, you most likely do not. Of course, all of this is moot unless and until you divorce, since only in divorce are rights to and the distribution of assets determined.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption