What to do if our roommates have not paid their share?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our roommates have not paid their share?

We verbally agreed on or about 2 months ago that we would spilt 50/50 the costs of the rent, all bills, as well as the cost of groceries (we have 3 witnesses to this). As of this month they now owe us a total of $3200. Is there any way that we can get this from them or are we just out the money?

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An oral or verbal agreement is enfoceable--obviously, it can be challenging to prove the existence and terms of the agreement, if if's just someone's word against another person's word, but assuming that you can prove the agreement, you can enforce it. You would enforce it by suing thhe roommates, possibly in small claims court (you can act as your own lawyer and avoid attorney's fees). From what you write, there would appear to be no reason to not try a lawsuit to recover the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption