If my husband and I do not have children and he has agreed to quick claim deed the house to me, how do we proceed with non-attorney divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I do not have children and he has agreed to quick claim deed the house to me, how do we proceed with non-attorney divorce?

We have been married 10 years with no biological children. I have 2 teenagers from previous a marriage. We want to divide debt and property up ourselves and he wants to quick claim deed house to me. Can we go together to courthouse and file and be done. How do I keep him from charging on credit cards with both our names after the divorce. The card company said they will not take my name off of unless paid in full and that is not an option for us.

Asked on August 11, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve your matter is to at least consult with a family law attorney to make sure that you are not giving up your legal rights as to this dissolution of your marriage. If you do not want a lawyer and want to do the dissolution on your own, I suggest that you go down to the county clerk's office and ask for a dissolution packet for you to fill out. Most courts have such.

If it does not, I suggest that you call ypur local legal aid clinic and/or your county law library for assistance in getting the forms for your marital dissolution. Potentially your soon to be "ex" will assist you in the joint endeavor. I would call the credit card company and cancel the use of the card to protect against future charges on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption