What to do if my husband took over $7000 worth of property from a storage unit that was solely rented in my name?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband took over $7000 worth of property from a storage unit that was solely rented in my name?

My husband and I are separated; we are in the process of divorce. I have a storage unit that is in my name on the contact. He recently went without my consent and emptied the unit. He told the owners that we were vacating and did not need their services anymore. Is this legal when he is not listed on the contract with the storage facility. What can I do from here. The value on the content exceeds $7000.

Asked on February 10, 2011 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would speak with your attorney on the matter.  Although as you have explained things here it appears that your unit was your alone and the objects inside only yours, are they?  Are they separate property that could in fact be designated as such?  Or are they marital property?  Either way, if he does anything with them it could be trouble for him in the divorce.  You can not "dissipate" marital assets and you can not take what is not yours.  As for what to do about the storage facility, how you acted in the past - allowing him access, etc., - may govern what remedies you are enetitled to here.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption