If my husband and I are separated and he demands half of an insurance check for damaged mattresses, s he entitled to it?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I are separated and he demands half of an insurance check for damaged mattresses, s he entitled to it?

We had our belongings in a storage facility. Our mattresses, ours and our 2 sons, were ruined. My husband demands half of the total check, regardless. Do I have to give him half? Can I replace the mattresses first, then split remainder? Or can I give him half of the amount for just our bed?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is not one of those easy questions to give guidance on with out knowing more about the situaton.  But if the belongings that were damaged were both of yours then you own them equally.  I am sure, though, that the insurance was intended for replacement and that was your intent in the sotrage to begin with: to be able to use them again.  I would reason with him and if he is not listening to reason, consider depositing the money and not using it until you can resolve all the issues here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption