If my husband and I are getting a divorce and we own a house and have 2 kids, can my kids and I stay in the home?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I are getting a divorce and we own a house and have 2 kids, can my kids and I stay in the home?

He wants to sell but I don’t.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


Thomas Peppler / Hochman and Peppler LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor


In the appropriate case, the law in Florida will allow the children to stay in their house with the primary care giver. The court may allow you to have use and possession of the house until the children are emancipated or you remarry. It will not happen automatically and your lawyer will have to develop the facts to convince the judge that this is in the children's best interests.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption