My husband and I are Americans living abroad, will an overseas divorce be recognized in the US?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband and I are Americans living abroad, will an overseas divorce be recognized in the US?

My husband and I are dual citizens of Colombia and the US. While living in Colombia we had a Catholic marriage ceremony. We later had a civil ceremony in NY. Will a divorce in Colombia be recognized as the termination of our NY marriage too? How do we proceed for this to happen?

Asked on August 30, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you receive a maritial dissolution via a Columbia legal proceeding where it has been granted by a Columbian judge, the marital dissolution will be recognized in the United States. I suggest that you get several certified copies of the Columbian order decreeing that your marriage has been dissolved and place a copy of it in your safety deposit box. I would get at least five (5).

You can then have one of the certified copies filed in the county in New York where you had your civil ceremony (office of vital statistics). This should take care of your matter in the the United States.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption