If my husband and have been having marital problems for a few months now and I leave for a short period of time, am I giving up my rights to our property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and have been having marital problems for a few months now and I leave for a short period of time, am I giving up my rights to our property?

He thinks that it would be a good idea for us to spend a little time apart, about 2 weeks, to see what it is that we both need and want. Our home is paid for, but my husband owned that property before we married. We own 2 other homes that were purchased after we were married.

Asked on November 20, 2015 under Family Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can move out but the fact is in this situation it's never a good idea to leave the "marital residence" until there a separation agreement in place or it is during the course of a divorce proceedings and agreed in court. Even though your husband owned the house prior to yout marriage, at this point you may have equity in the huse. While, you may not lose any equity if you move out, you be forced to pay bills towards the house. If you leave, this fact might be used against you. Additionally, he could obtain a court and get exclusive occupancy of the house which could mean that he would be allowed to reside in the house and preclude you from returning if you wanted to.
At this point you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area. They can best advise you further. They could perhaps help you with a separation or post-nuptial agreement which would prevent your husband from saying that you abandoned the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption