If my husband abandoned my children and I without any warning, what are my legal options?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband abandoned my children and I without any warning, what are my legal options?

It’s been almost a month. I filed for a protective order because he has a bad

temper. He left us with nothing and we are about to be homeless. The car was in his name and it has been repossessed which led to me losing my job.

Asked on November 23, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file for divorce: if he was the main breadwinner, you should receive alimony or spousal support, and if you are the children's caregiver and custodial parent, he will also have to pay child support; plus you will get a share of any marital assets or money. In the process of filing, you can also seek "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") relief in the form of a court order requiring him to pay some bills or expenses, or provide money to you, pending the outcome of the divorce case, to maintain the "status quo." Contact a family or matrimonial law attorney; if you can't afford one, try contacting the Legal Services Corporation, which provides free legal assistance in some cases, or local laws schools, which may have "clinics" in which law students, under their professors' supervision, provide help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption