If my house was surrendered in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, am I still liable for it?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my house was surrendered in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, am I still liable for it?

My now ex-wife has her relatives living there. Both our names are on the house title. Can I be held responsible if something should happen to those people in the house?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You say that you surrendered the house in a chap 13 bk.  Has the Lender filed a foreclosure and taken title?  If so, you have no liability.  Is your wife a co-debtor in the chappter 13 filing? Is there still valid insurance on the property?  Too many questions arise to properly answer the question.  oftentimes, a lender will continue insurance to protect their interests.

If there is no insurance, and the lender has not yet taken title to the house, you could be held liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption