If my house is being foreclosed and my mom’s credit isn’t good enough for a loan, how can I help save our house?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my house is being foreclosed and my mom’s credit isn’t good enough for a loan, how can I help save our house?

My mom’s hours at work were cut severely and she has been getting behind in bills and mortgage payments. We got the foreclosure notice 2 days ago and she doesn’t even have enough money to pay for a lawyer to file bankruptcy. I’m 17.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your mom needs to contact the lender or servicer of her loan and ask to stay the foreclosure while she applies for a forebearance or a mortgage loan modification (hopefully a HAMP modification). Do not take no for answer. Simultaneously, have your mom call the department of financial institutions or banking in the state in which you live to file a consumer complaint and hope they can help stop the foreclosure while your mom applies for the modification. Your monm needs to be diligent about the modification paperwork and needs to also consider getting that department of financial institutions involved to process it quicker.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption